This exciting design is a detail from “The Flight of Icarus”, a Scottish Arts & Crafts embroidery in Phillipa’s own Crewel Work collection. The full design, which is an adaptation of the traditional “Tree of Life”, is a reflection of the new styles that prevailed at the end of the 19th Century.
As you embroider the stylised sun and bird in mid-flight, you will perfect your technique in two core Crewel Work stitches - Crewel Stem and Long & Short as ‘soft shading’. You will work these stitches to create a raised and painterly impression with create a 3D effect.
Linen size 16.5 x 17.5”
Design size 9.5 x 10.5”
Crewel Stem, Long and Short as ‘soft shading’, Satin Stitch
What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate "Z" twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for The Crewel Work Company in the Highlands of Scotland. Accurately screen-printed with the design outline with stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools in numbered skeins to match the stitch chart
- Easy to follow illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, "The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work", including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- 2 of each of our bespoke gold-plated (size 2 for single thread) and polished nickel (size 1 for double thread) speciality crewel needles
- A full size colour reproduction of the finished design