This charming Jacobean Peony design evokes the spirit of Jacobean times from over three hundred years ago. Phillipa recreated the original Jacobean stitches found in her researches on original bedhangings in the Castles where many of them remain to this day. You in turn will recreate : Crewel Stem, Long and Short as soft shading, French Knots, Reversed Chain and two variations of Laid and Couched Work.
The use of deep colours and an interesting variety of stitches were one way for the rich merchants of the 17th Century to show that they could afford the most expensive dyes and designs.
Linen size 13 x 13”
Design size 8x 7”
Crewel Stem, Long and Short as soft shading, French Knots, Reversed Chain and two variations of Laid and Couched Work.
What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate "Z" twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for The Crewel Work Company in the Highlands of Scotland. Accurately screen-printed with the design outline with stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools in numbered skeins to match the stitch chart
- Easy to follow illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, "The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work", including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- 2 of each of our bespoke gold-plated (size 2 for single thread) and polished nickel (size 1 for double thread) speciality crewel needles
- A full size colour reproduction of the finished design