The Crewel Work Company Jacobean Idyll Level 3 Advanced Kit
LAST ONE in stock!
This bold Jacobean design is a detail within a large “Tree of Life” embroidered on a rare set of late-17th Century bed hangings, which are part of the extensive needlework collection at Muncaster Castle in Cumbria, England. This remote Cumbrian castle has been owned and occupied by the Pennington family since at least 1066 and holds important collections of furniture, paintings, and especially, textiles.
During the past twenty years Phillipa Turnbull has spent many hours studying the textile collection at Muncaster Castle and has always been entranced by this particular set of bed hangings. The very low light in the castle has protected the hangings from the ravages of direct sunlight and has minimised consequent fading, thus the original depth of colour may be admired and appreciated over 300 years later.
As you embroider this design, you will enjoy the following stitches - Crewel Stem, Satin, French Knots, Laid and Couched Work, and you will “paint with your needle” with Long & Short Stitch.
Linen size 20 x 16”
Design size 16 x 9.5”
Long & Short as ‘soft shading’, Crewel Stem Stitch, Satin Stitch, French Knots. Laid & Couched Work
What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate "Z" twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for The Crewel Work Company in the Highlands of Scotland. Accurately screen-printed with the design outline with stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools in numbered skeins to match the stitch chart
- Easy to follow illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, "The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work", including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- 2 of each of our bespoke gold-plated (size 2 for single thread) and polished nickel (size 1 for double thread) speciality crewel needles
- A full size colour reproduction of the finished design