A masterclass in Crewel Work!
The Jacobean Fantasy design is a detail from a beautiful bedspread completed in Glasgow, Scotland. It is signed and dated by the embroiderer, “E.M. 1914”, the same year the First World War broke out in Europe. “E.M.” had a wonderful colour sense, combining soft deep pewter greys in a peaceful undertone and linking vibrant accents of bright colour with this continuous colour base.
This crewel work bedspread is a great favourite at exhibitions of my private collection of historic embroidery. The linen, wool colours, stitches and scale are all true to the original and this will enable you to stitch in comfort. To date, my daughter has embroidered this kit four times as individual wedding presents and dated the pillows she has made with the wedding dates. I hope that you find equal enjoyment when recreating this classic Arts & Crafts era “Jacobean” crewel work design.
Enjoy learning Long and Short Stitch as "soft shading", variations of Laid and Couched Work, as well as Crewel Stem Stitch. Perfect for beginners. This design is part of Phillipa's private collection.
Linen size 21 x 18”
Design size 16 x 12”
Satin Stitch, Crewel Stem Stitch, Laid & Couched Work, Long & Short as ‘soft shading’
What's in a Kit?
- Historically accurate "Z" twist Jacobean Linen Twill woven exclusively for The Crewel Work Company in the Highlands of Scotland. Accurately screen-printed with the design outline with stitch direction and length guide
- Appleton's 2-ply crewel wools in numbered skeins to match the stitch chart
- Easy to follow illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Full size stitch chart showing the exact location of every stitch and colour
- Beginners booklet, "The Essential Guide for Newcomers to Crewel Work", including handy hints, getting started, needle threading and other embroidery tips
- 2 of each of our bespoke gold-plated (size 2 for single thread) and polished nickel (size 1 for double thread) speciality crewel needles
- A full size colour reproduction of the finished design